Expanded Coverage in Oregon
Effective July 1, 2016, the Oregon Health Plan (OHP) expanded coverage for non-pharmacological treatment of back pain(PDF, 182 KB).
Patients will work with their health care providers to determine risk for chronic back pain. Based on the level of risk, one or more of the following covered treatments may be appropriate:
- Chiropractic manipulation
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (a form of talk therapy)
- Office visits
- Osteopathic manipulation
- Physical and occupational therapy
- Intensive rehabilitation
- Supervised exercise therapy
- Surgery (only for a limited number of conditions where evidence shows surgery is more effective than other treatment options)
- Medications (including short-term opiate drugs, but not long-term prescriptions)
These services may be provided where available as determined by each Coordinate Care Organizations (CCO). If you are on OHP, check with your CCO to learn about your specific benefits and referral requirements.
Coverage in the Tri-County Region
Oregon Health Plan members in the Tri-County Region can contact Health Share of Oregon to learn which of these services are available and how to acces them.