Why Prescribe Naloxone?
The Oregon Health Authority has a list of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about the many benefits of prescribing naloxone, such as:
- Saving lives
- Reducing ER visits
- Raising patient awareness about opioids and overdose risk
Who Should I Prescribe Naloxone to?
- Patients taking an opioid prescription >90 Morphine Equivalent Doses (MED)
- Patients who are also taking Benzodiazepines
- Patients with a history of overdose
- Patients with a history of Substance Use Disorder (SUD)
How do I Prescribe Naloxone?
The Toolkit for Pharmacists available on the Oregon Health Authority's website includes training and educational resources for pharmacists and prescribers. The Oregon Board of Pharmacy and Oregon Pain Guidance have additional resources for prescribing naloxone.